James C. Garrigan
New York, NY 10128 +1 212 876 5645
Integrate Top-Quality Training, Analytical Skill, and Problem Solving Expertise, Determining Precisely and Then Fulfilling Client and End-User Technical Requirements
Directory Services | Messaging | E-Discovery | Archiving | Cyber Security | Documentation
Patch Management | Business Continuity Planning (BCP) | Disaster Recovery | High Availability
Connectivity Devices & Protocols | Network Communications
Hyper-V | VMware | Active Directory | DNS | Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003 R2 | Exchange 2007/2003
Group Policy | PowerShell | Enterprise Vault Email / File System Archiving | Compliance Accelerator
Discovery Accelerator | Mobile Device Management (MDM) | Network Applications | TCP-IP | NetApp SAN
NYC DOE, Brooklyn, NY
Specialist / Classroom Connectivity - Server QA Deployment Engineer
· I optimized existing PowerShell scripts for the configuration and integration of two 2012 R2 Hyper-V Hosts with five virtual machines, three - 2012 R2 VM’s and two - Red Hat Linux 6.4 VM’s.
· I reduced the integration's deployment time by approximately 50%.
· I significantly reduced the quantity of manual input for the integration. For example I used plink.exe to automate tasks which were manually executed within the vi editor. I also used winscp.exe to automate copying files.
· I utilized Excel to create an integration checklist.
· I created a quality assurance procedure to verify the configuration of the integration.
· I created new versions of the integration scripts for Server 2016, Server 2019 and RHEL 7.7.
· I created a RHEL 7.7 Kickstart image which enables automated custom settings per site. Previously the inherited RHEL 6.4 script block required the operator to manually enter the IP settings and the host name.
· Within the integration script I provided the operator with the ability to selectively execute blocks of code thus enabling the operator to both recover from errors and rebuild individual VM's.
· I created documentation for the pre-integration tasks and the integration tasks. I update the documentation as needed and I share it with the related teams.
· I also execute live demonstrations for my colleague, a NYC DOE employee, so he becomes aware of the process changes.
· I created a PowerShell script which locates and resolves Hyper-V replication problems.
· All blocks of code that execute changes are tested within an IT lab prior to being used within the production environment. Creating an IT lab was my first significant request to the Server Operations team.
· Daily tasks include receiving help desk (Cherwell) tickets, executing the scope of work, and updating the tickets accordingly.
· Provide support for the Classroom Connectivity Project of school server integration including but not limited to delivery, installation, and break/fix activities. Candidate may have to travel to schools.
· Configure physical (Windows 2012 R2 Core) and virtual servers (3 Windows VMs and 2 Linux VMs), Remote Access cards, Active Directory, DNS Services, LAN and network services
· Troubleshoot and provide support for hardware and software problems during the server integration including, but not limited to, DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, SNMP, TCP/IP, and WINS
· Create and update documentation of all work effort to support server integration for sites, including design documents and process diagrams
· Perform testing on Servers.
· Interact with the client's end-users and vendors to resolve logistic and hardware issues with equipment.
· Script/automate tasks to improve provisioning and troubleshooting
Job Search Activity, New York, NY
On-call IT Jobs / IT Training / Job Search
10/2018 - 07/2019
· IT Training: Skillsoft online training classes | O’Reilly series “Head First Python” | System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (SCCM) Unleashed; Sams Pearson
· Created an Internet site within Linux to advertise my skills | distribute cover letters, resumes - Integrated with Google Analytics | Adsense, Search engines: Bing, Google, Yandex
Baseil Associates, New York, NY
IT Support (On-call)
3/2019 - 3/2019
· Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP - I was a member of a team that updated the Lenovo software on Windows 10-based computers and verified / updated the inventory of the end-user computer hardware
Kipany Productions, Ltd, New York, NY
IT Infrastructure Engineer (Fulltime)
5/2018 - 10/2018
Responsible for supporting:
· Company network, data center and end user computing hardware, Office 365 / Email encryption, Asset inventory
· Security and Compliance Initiatives: PCI DSS, HIPAA/Hitech, and SOC 2
· Updated Documentation | Visio Diagrams
PHM Services, New York, NY
IT Systems Field Engineer (On-call)
5/2017 - 5/2018
I provided a variety of ad-hoc services for clients.
· Administration - Migrated Exchange mailboxes | Created/Deleted Active Directory user accounts
· Problem Resolution - VMware-based Windows Servers | Desktop Operating systems | Applications | Software
IT Messaging Contractor via KFORCE
1/2017 - 5/2017
I was responsible for assisting DoITT with planning and implementing new Enterprise Vault email archiving policies.
IT Systems Consultant via PHM Services
7/2016 - 12/2016
I added value to the client by partnering with the in-house IT staff to complete the assignments with a high level of precision. Click here to view additional details.
· Built a VMware-based IT lab environment that contained elements from production to prepare for live changes
· Upgraded the existing single node BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) v. 5.0.2 with MSDE to a two node Active/Passive (high availability) configuration v. 5.0.4 MR13 cluster with SQL 2014
· Created a Mobile Device Management (MDM) proposal to deploy and manage Apple devices
· Active Directory
o Optimized Microsoft DNS and group policies in a multi-forest environment
o The recovery plan leveraged a combination of scripts with command line utilities
o Prepared for an IT audit by identifying stale computer objects via PowerShell scripts
· Upgraded legacy operating systems, e.g. Server 2008 to Server 2012 R2 via the use of VMware OS templates
o Migrated - FSMO roles | certificate authorities (PKI) | domain controllers | application servers
· Provided guidance and acted as a technical resource to both IT management and the service desk
o IT Management: MDM Solution | Microsoft Technology | FINRA Compliance
o Service Desk: Symantec Ghost | McAfee EPO
· Patch Management - Deployed a VMware-based 2012 R2 server with the WSUS role in the “Disaster Recovery” datacenter
o Utilized group policies to enable the DR computer objects in the forests to use the same WSUS server
Lloyds Bank, Plc., New York, NY
IT Infrastructure Engineer / Team Leader
9/2010 - 5/2016
I was a trusted advisor to management, developed innovative solutions for unique problems, delivered projects in a timely and efficient manner, resolved end user and other technical issues, and shared knowledge with colleagues.
Systems: Exchange 2003 - High Availability - CA RHA Clusters, Exchange 2007 Microsoft Clusters (CCR's) on VMware, and BlackBerry 5.x / 12.x, RightFax - High Availability, using VMware Site Recovery Manager.
· PowerShell / batch file scripts / scheduled tasks were utilized to extract and forward data via email to UK teams
· A PowerShell script was created to increase the efficiency of the monthly Microsoft patch installation process. The script stopped services on related groups of servers, application servers followed by the database servers. All servers were restarted, patches were installed, necessary reboots occurred, and the services were started on the database servers followed by the application servers.
· Redesigned the US Active Directory - Forest Consolidation | Group Policy | Schema updates - to harmonize US AD to headquarters' directives with minimal impact to production
· Implemented MessageLabs SPAM Manager: Reduced IT overhead | Provided better service to the colleagues
· Managed / Consolidated Exchange | Upgraded Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 Microsoft Clusters (CCR's) on VMware
· Implemented BlackBerry 5.x and 12.x with high availability
· Participated in the rollout of Windows 7 | Policies | Configuration | Application Palette
· Built multiple VMware-based preproduction test environments in the US
· Leveraged VMware to deploy Windows servers from OS templates integrated with UK standard build scripts
· Assisted with the administration and maintenance of Citrix XenApp, NetScaler, VMware vSphere, NetApp SAN
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (SCCM) Unleashed; Sams Pearson - SCCM (Learning)
O’Reilly series “Head First Python” / Skill-port training - Python (Learning)
Cisco Networking Academy - Cisco CCNA (Studying for the certification exam)
Compu21 - Cisco CCNA | Microsoft Server 2016 MCSE
Global Knowledge - Citrix XenApp Training | Exchange 2013 Training - Core Solutions | Advanced Solutions
Rutgers University New Brunswick, NJ - Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Microsoft Certified System Engineer - Microsoft, License 2164299
From a Director at [ ]: James is very knowledgeable with IT systems and would be an asset to any company.
Subscribe to James (Jim) Garrigan Diversely Talented IT Infrastructure Engineer